Sunday 4 December 2016

Up In The Air

Some projects you remember with particular affection. And some you don't. This one sticks in my mind because when I started it, a few years ago, I slipped while cutting some parts up to use, sliced my hand open and had to go to casualty to have seven stitches. I still bear the scars of the battlefields of the 41st millenium.



I happened to find this flying machine lying around in a battered and unfinished state, and realised that, in a true stroke of genius, not only had I mangled myself putting it together, but I'd stuck the engines on back to front. Some rather more careful cutting later, and here is the improved Zephyr, a small flyer used to transport light goods from one hive city to another.


The wings are actually the "petals" of a space marine drop pod. The engines and main body are from a Tau piranha, and the cockpit came off a children's Robogear toy. I think the canopy on the top of the fusillage is from a chaos walker of some kind.


Painting something like this is pretty much out of my experience, so thanks to James for his suggestions. It needs work, since I don't have some of the stuff he proposed that I used. I've got to that weird situation where you know that you need to something, but you're not quite sure what.

The answer is probably to make more genestealers.

3 comments:

  1. I thought it was the stomper you cut your hand making, or was that an additional act of martyrdom?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Personally I think you've started with too dark a base colour and therefore it is hard to see tonal variations. I'd start with a much lighter shade of green such as vallejo Russian uniform green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hacking this model up to get parts for the stompa. It was a pretty bad day, all in all. I think you're right about the base colour. I'll have a think, but I'm reluctant to start all over again. Bum.

    ReplyDelete